CAREWare is a free, electronic health and social support services information system for HRSA’s Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program recipients and providers. CAREWare was developed by HRSA’s HIV/AIDS Bureau and first released in 2000.
CAREWare has been overhauled with an entirely new user interface that runs in any internet browser (except for Internet Explorer which does not fully support HTML 5). Version 6 includes all of the same functionality as Version 5, plus some additional features, and uses the same underlying SQL Server database. To connect to the CAREWare 6 business and data tiers, you will need to use one of the following browsers: Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge, or Safari.
HRSA’s HIV/AIDS Bureau offers an array of technical support to assist you with the upgrade process, whether you are a small, standalone provider electing not to run CAREWare over the internet, or a large state or citywide network running in the cloud with full TLS encryption. As with CAREWare 5, 2-factor authentication is an important security feature that can be readily configured in the new version.
On this website you can download the latest CAREWare 6 business tier build and HTTP setup file. In addition, we have updated all of the Quick Start Guides to assist you with most all of the major features in CAREWare 6. The new version of CAREWare also contains help links within the application itself.
Download the latest business tier build for CAREWare 6
Download: CAREWare 6 Business Tier Build 112z updated 12/17/2021
This is the minimum official build required to generate your 2020 RSR.
HTTP Server Setup Files: HTTP Setup Files Build 112z updated 12/17/2021
Download: CAREWare User License Agreement (PDF - 144 KB)
The HTTP server acts as the “broker” between your browser and the CAREWare business tier. If you are running CAREWare 6 over the internet, you will need to follow the important steps outlined in the “CAREWare 6 HTTP Server Setup” document.
Technical Guides and Instructions
To access and download important technical guides that outline how to upgrade and secure CAREWare 6, visit TargetHIV. There you will find the following information:
- Upgrading the new CAREWare 6 Business Tier
- Setting up the CAREWare 6 HTTP Server with a TLS certificate
- Configuring two-factor authentication
- Setting up CAREWare 6 to work with IIS as a reverse proxy
HRSA’s HIV/AIDS Bureau has initiated a formal technical assistance request process for users seeking help to upgrade to CAREWare Version 6. To schedule an appointment with the help desk to assist with the upgrade process, please complete the information in this form. An email will be sent directly to the CAREWare Help Desk to get things started. We hope that this will provide you with the full, dedicated support you need to work through any update issues.
CAREWare Help Desk
Hours: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, noon-5:00 p.m. ET and Tuesday and Thursday, 10:30 a.m.-6:30 p.m. ET
Join the CAREWare Listserv
To learn more about CAREWare updates and new resources, please subscribe to our listserv.
Medications and Diagnosis Codes Imports
- ICD-10 Diagnosis Codes (XML - 14 MB) updated 3/30/2020
- ADAP Medications Import (XML - 62.4 MB) updated 12/17/2021
- Medications Import (XML - 636 KB) updated 12/17/2021
Quick Start User Guides
The following guides have been updated for CAREWare 6:
- Quick Start Guide 1: Navigating CAREWare Version 6 (PDF - 815 KB)
- Quick Start Guide 2: Setting up Contracts and Services (PDF - 1 MB)
- Quick Start Guide 3: Adding Clients, Demographics, Services, and Annual Review Data (PDF - 2 MB)
- Quick Start Guide 4: Customizing Tabs and Fields (PDF - 1 MB)
- Quick Start Guide 5: Clinical Setup and Medical Data Entry (PDF - 2 MB)
- Quick Start Guide 6: Working with Prebuilt Reports, including the RSR and ADR (PDF - 996 KB)
- Quick Start Guide 7: Creating Basic Custom Reports (PDF - 1 MB)
- Quick Start Guide 8: Advance Custom Reports (PDF - 1 MB)
- Quick Start Guide 9: User and System Administration (PDF - 2 MB)